- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 large red bell peppers, diced
- 2 cups whole, peeled tomatoes with their juice, crushed by hand
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup dried blueberries
- Toast cumin and coriander seed in a small saucepan over low heat until fragrant.
- Grind cumin and coriander seed in a spice grinder.
- Place a heavy-bottomed 4-quart pan over medium-low heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and sweat onions and peppers until they soften, about 10-15 minutes. Adjust heat as necessary to avoid browning the vegetables.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic and spices and simmer on low heat for about one hour, stirring as needed until all liquid has dissipated.
- Transfer matbucha to refrigerator until cool.
- Add dried blueberries and mix thoroughly.
To finish assembling your dish, pair with Moroccan-style lamb chops, as pictured here, for a divine meal.
You can use more or less red pepper flakes as desired for heat.