Crispy Chicken Legs:
- 4 chicken legs (leg and thigh attached)
- 1 1⁄2 tsp Diamond Crystal kosher salt (or 3⁄4 tsp table salt)
- 1⁄4 cup freeze dried blueberry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 ounces whole wheat orzo, dry
- 8 ounces fresh spinach (or other leafy greens)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Squeeze of lemon
- Dry-brine the chicken by salting the chicken legs between the skin and the flesh, and place on a wire rack set over a rimmed cookie sheet.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours and as long as 24 hours. Remove from refrigerator about 30 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine blueberry powder with black pepper, chopped rosemary and oregano. Rub all over chicken just before cooking.
- In a large, oven-proof skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Continue heating until oil is just about smoking and pan is heated thoroughly.
- Place chicken legs skin side down in skillet and cook about 12-15 minutes, until chicken is very brown and crispy on one side.
- Turn chicken over and place in the 425-degree oven. Continue cooking about 15 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Serve over whole wheat orzo with spinach and feta (directions below).
- Cook orzo in a large pot of salted water.
- Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, sauté spinach in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until just wilted.
- Add reserved orzo, chopped parsley, and a squeeze of lemon.
- Season with salt and pepper, and top with crumbled feta cheese.
Table salt used in nutritional analysis.