- 1 cup blueberry puree, purchased (or use recipe below)
- 3⁄4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 pound sliced bacon
- 1-1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Heat oven to 350°. In a small bowl combine blueberry puree and maple syrup; remove ½-cup of the mixture and set aside.
- Separate bacon slices and place on a rack over a rimmed baking sheet; bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven and brush both sides of the bacon slices with the reserved ½-cup of blueberry-maple mixture. Bake until bacon is crisp and glaze is set, 5 to 10 minutes longer. Cover bacon with foil to keep warm.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl stir buttermilk, milk, eggs and melted butter. Add to the dry ingredients; stir just until combined (do not over mix; a few lumps will remain).
- Rub a large nonstick skillet with oil just to coat and heat over medium heat. Ladle batter onto skillet, using ¼-cup batter for each pancake. Dot each with several blueberries. Cook until bubbles break on the surface, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook until lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes more. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with the remaining blueberry-maple syrup mixture and blueberry glazed bacon.
In a small saucepan, simmer blueberries and water until blueberries begin to pop and release juice, about 5 minutes. Drain blueberries, reserving juice. Place cooked blueberries in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth, adding small amounts of juice, as needed. Yield: 1 cup