- 493g of organic whole milk, warmed
- 19g of organic cane sugar
- 20g of active dry yeast
- 1150g of all-purpose flour
- 193g of eggs
- 45g of egg yolks
- 15g of salt, kosher
- 230g of organic cane sugar
- 454g of butter, salted, softened, cut into small chunks
- Egg Wash (see sub-recipe)
- Blueberry Butter (see sub-recipe)
- Blueberry Sugar – see sub-recipe
- 496g of 60% dark chocolate, chopped into semi-fine bits
- 8g of organic ground cinnamon
- 250g of organic dried sweetened blueberries
- 15g of eggs
- 39g of heavy cream
- 170g of butter, salted
- 18g of blueberry powder
- 85g of organic cane sugar
- 32g of freeze-dried blueberry powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In the bowl of the stand mixer, stir together warm milk, 4 teaspoons of sugar, and yeast. Let sit until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- With the paddle attachment on the mixer, beat in 1 cup of all-purpose flour until combined.
- Add the eggs, yolks, vanilla extract, salt, and remaining sugar. Beat on medium-low speed until incorporated.
- Gradually add remaining flour ½ cup at a time, until a sticky dough forms.
- Add butter, a handful at a time, and beat for 4-5 minutes until a shiny, stringy dough forms.
- Place the dough in a well-oiled bowl and cover with a towel. Let rise in warm area of kitchen for 1½-2 hours, until dough has doubled in volume.
- Turn out dough onto floured surface and roll out into 2 12″ x 20″ rectangles.
- Brush edges of dough rectangle with Egg Wash, leaving just a little for baking time.
- Gently brush filling area of dough (in between egg-washed sides) generously with Blueberry Butter.
- Sprinkle Blueberry Sugar liberally all over dough, saving just enough to top the individual muffins.
- Spread chocolate, cinnamon, and blueberries evenly around the dough to cover the whole area.
- There are many different styles of babka rolling and folding. Roll the rectangles from the bottom, tightly making a pinwheel/cinnamon roll log.
- Cut the rolled log in half and then stretch slightly. Braid together 2-3 half logs, overlapping one another.
- Cut newly braided log into 1-inch rounds and place into a buttered cupcake pan.
- Cover with a towel in warm area and allow cut babka to rise again for 30-60 minutes.
- Brush with remaining Egg Wash and bake for 15-25 minutes, until tops are golden brown.
- When removed from oven, brush with a little melted butter and sprinkle with remaining Blueberry Sugar.
serving size: 1 2″ round muffin.
Hold time/shelf life: 21 days
Whisk together egg and cream until combined.
Melt butter until bubbles start to form and color is slightly brown.
Remove from heat.
Whisk in blueberry powder until combined and smooth.
Whisk together sugar and blueberry powder.
About This Recipe
Blueberry and dark chocolate babka muffins brushed with blueberry brown butter and topped with blueberry sugar.