- 1400g of cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 400g of white onion, chopped
- 112g of jalapeño peppers, brunoise
- 400g of red bell pepper, chopped
- salt, kosher
- 2000g of cider vinegar
- 1840g of sugar, granulated
- 56g of garlic, finely chopped
- 30g of mustard seed
- 20g of celery seed
- 2g of turmeric
- 2g of red chili pepper flakes
- 400g of blueberries, IQF, slacked and drained
- In a large glass or plastic bowl, mix the cucumbers, onion, and peppers; toss to combine well.
- Add salt, stir, cover, and refrigerate; let stand 6 hours or overnight, stirring occasionally. Drain well, but do not rinse.
- In a large pot, combine the vinegar, sugar, garlic, mustard seed, celery seed, and turmeric. Bring to a boil, stirring regularly until sugar is dissolved.
- Add the drained vegetables and red pepper flakes, return to a boil, reduce to medium, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Drain, reserving the syrup for future use, and add drained blueberries.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer relish into sterilized jars and top off with syrup. Seal, refrigerate, or process for canning.
About This Recipe
Bread and butter—with a touch of heat—pickle preparation with whole and crushed blueberries, for a salty sweet addition to bratwurst, hot dogs, and burgers.