- 2 ounces butter (1⁄2 stick)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 vanilla bean (split and scraped)
- Zest of 1 orange
- 10 teaspoons (50 grams) sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2.5 cups (600 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt (or 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt)
Blueberry Cardamom Sugar Ingredients
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄4 cup freeze-dried blueberry powder
- Melt butter.
- In a mixing bowl, combine milk, vanilla, orange zest, sugar and yeast. Mix on low speed until yeast is dissolved.
- Add orange juice, flour and salt, and continue mixing on low speed until combined.
- Add the melted butter in a slow steady stream until a smooth dough forms.
- Move ball of dough to a clean bowl covered with plastic wrap to proof for one hour.
- Punch down and fold dough, and proof for one more hour.
- When ready, roll dough into a sheet about ¾” thick. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Roll dough once more to about ¼” thick. Cut doughnuts into rectangles about 1½” wide and 3½” long (or other desired shape).
- Proof for about 30 minutes before freezing until ready to cook.
- Fry doughnuts in 350-degree oil about 2-3 minutes, turning once during cooking, until brown.
- Drain and place into a bowl. Toss with the blueberry cardamom sugar. Serve immediately.